The iPod Touch is great, in part, due to its portability. I often download an app, throw the iTouch in my purse and head out to the grocery store to see just how well that new list app works. However, there have been times when I’ve come back home to realize that I just can’t remember where I left the thing!
Sound familiar? Between allowing children to play with the iPod Touch while waiting at restaurants or utilizing the device as mobile entertainment on long flights, it’s not uncommon for people to “misplace” their iTouch. Luckily, Apple has devised a handy way for iPod Touch owners to track down their lost device.
Here’s how it works:
1. You must be running the iOS 4.2 operating system. If you haven’t already downloaded iOS 4.2, get to it!
2. Within “Settings,” select “Mail, Contacts and Calendars”
3. Select “Add Account”
4. Tap on the “Mobile Me” logo inside of the account options
5. Enter your Apple ID and password when prompted to do so. This is the same information that you use to log in to iTunes. Or, if this is the first time you’re using the iPod Touch and don’t have an Apple ID, select “Create Free Apple ID” at the bottom of the screen and follow the prompts.
6. Be sure to verify your MobileMe account. Inside of the “Mail, Contacts and Calendars” page, look to see if the screen says “verified” or “not verified” next to the MobileMe section. If not, check your e-mail and follow the link from MobileMe to verify the account.
7. Once the account has been verified, go back through settings to access your MobileMe account and switch “Find My iPod” to “ON.”
Once you’re set up, you’ll be able to track your iPod Touch down. When necessary, log onto www.me.com and sign in with your Apple ID and password. When logged in, you’ll be able to see your iPod Touch on a map and figure out where the heck you left the thing! You can also type in a message to display on the iPod, which is handy for asking someone who may have found the device to call you, or set a passcode that will lock the device and prevent potential thieves from using it.
Give it a try and give yourself a little insurance to help keep track of your iPod Touch!