It is said that there is no magic formula for iPhone app promotion- sometimes you get lucky and get featured on the App Store and the iPhone app sales will pick up. However, many iPhone apps make the top 10 list without ever being featured by Apple. Below are some steps that you can take to improve your iPhone, iTouch, iPad app sales:
1. Localization via translation of your iPhone app will help tremendously for your iPhone app sales ‚ We have experienced this first hand. Note that you may not need to localize the contents of your app, it may be sufficient to translate just the description of your app in the iTunes store. If you are going in this direction, I’d recommend submitting your description in Japanese ‚Äì a hugely growing market-, Spanish, and French first.
2. Make a YouTube video, it does not need to be long – actually shorter the better. Not only this will promote your app to potential buyers, but it will also help when pitching your app to the various bloggers.
3. Choose an app name and keywords wisely. You may come up with a unique name for your app, but a descriptive title may serve you better. For example, if you have a coloring book app, using the word ‚’coloring’ in the app name could not hurt.
4. Stand out from the crowd with your app icon. When parents are looking through some online reviews or looking through apps on iTunes, make sure that your app icon catches their eyes. You can make a catchy icon by using bright colors, shapes etc. Humans are genetically programmed to pay attention to human faces, so if it makes sense, using a human face in your icon may be smart thing to do. Among the below icons, which ones catch your eye and which ones you are most likely to click on?
5. Print out business card size fliers for your app and distribute in your local community (thanks to Laurent Denoue for this tip)
6. Submit your app to review sites. This is a no brainier, but when submitting to the review sites make sure that you follow the submission rules. This may increase your chances of being featured in the best app category for that blog.Choose sites that have the right audience for your app. iPhoneAndKids.com is a great site focusing on iPhone kids apps.
7. Advertise with Google AdWords. Choose your keywords wisely. According to the Google keyword tool, currently only 6,000+ people who search for “iphone kids apps”, where there are about 2+ Million people who search for “math games for kids”. You can find out about monthly searcher for keywords using Google Keyword Tool and Google Insights for Search.
9. Concentrate your promotion and advertising efforts into a few weeks instead of spreading it. Focused advertising will help you to create a stronger buzz and help to achieve a top app store ranking.
10. Price your app wisely. Many parents will pay 0.99 for any app that may seem worthy but may think 10 times harder before paying $1.99.
11. Integrate social networking APIs such as Twitter and Facebook to your app. For example if your application is a coloring book, make sure that parents can share the masterpieces of their kid easily with their friends and relatives, thus promoting your app.
12. Select your screenshot images wisely. They should particularly appeal to kids, as well as the parents.
13. Emphasize the educational aspects of your app in your title, keywords, promotion. Some parents may only pay for an app if it contains some educational value.
14. Develop a “pitch”. Bloggers may not be interested in talking about yet another spelling app or a story book app. What is so special about your app? You may want to think about this even before you start developing a game. Giving a twist with a trendy topic ‚Äì such as teaching kids how to be more green ‚Äìwill sure to get some attention from bloggers.
15. Participate in the forums. Identify forums that meet your target audience criteria and participate. By being a trusted adviser, your suggestions will be valued.
16. Create a coloring or activity book for your app. Are there some main characters in your app? You can make a pdf file with the character drawings and publish this on your website. You can put advertisement of your app in the same pdf file. Parents will be delighted to get some free coloring/activity material and you will be advertising your app. If you make such a pdf file, let us know by emailing to email@example.com and we can make it available from this website.
17. Email signature. Make sure that all your emails contain a description and link to your apps in the signature lines.
18. Select your submission category wisely. Games category by far has the most apps, therefore it would be very difficult to obtain a high ranking in that category. Educational apps category may be a better bet.
19. Put a sticker on your car with your app name. Everybody is bored when waiting for the red lights, which is a free advertising opportunity for you.
20. Create a Twitter campaign. You can give away free promotion codes randomly to people who twitter about your app.
Hope these were helpful! Do you have other tips to share? Please drop us a note.